Sweet and Sour winter squash
2-pound piece butternut squash or pumpkin
1/3 cup olive oil, or as needed
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
2 or 3 large cloves garlic, sliced paper-thin
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon (optional)
Salt and freshly ground block pepper to taste
- Halve the squash, discard the seeds and fibers, peel the halves, and cut the pulp into 1/3 inch-thick slices.
- Warm half the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- In batches, add the squash slices and sauté, adding oil as needed and turning to brown both sides, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Using a slotted spatula, transfer to a serving platter.
- Cover with the mint and garlic.
- To the oil remaining in the pan, add the vinegar, sugar, and the cinnamon, if using, and cook until the sugar dissolves and the sauce thickens about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the squash. Serve at room temperature.
6 to 8
Calories Per Serving:
If you would like to purchase extra virgin olive oil from Tenuta Le Mandorlaie for use in your creations, all the products available can be found on the Tenuta Le Mandorlaie website